Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Memex

I find Bush's idea of The Memex very interesting and complex. The idea was too good for his time, it seems. If the Memex was produced during his time, it would have been revolutionary and made the accessibility to information a lot easier. For him to think of such a complicated piece of machinery that basically seems to fuel the ideas of similar modern technology today is fascinating. He basically thought of an early computer system.  Although  this technology was never made in its entirety, as he thought of  it, it was a great idea of his time.

In The Memex Revised I enjoyed how he mentioned more productive and efficient opportunities. There are so many technologies that store information.In searching the Memex on Google I was surprised about the number of hits I received with discussions and information about the idea of this technology. I'm surprised I never heard of the memex before attending college. With so much information about the Memex out there I do not understand how did I miss this, and why didn't my high school computer teacher mention something this early idea.

To think of if or how the Memex would be used in the modern days today, I would probably never use it, unless I was in a business where I had to. I barely read books and I am not a huge fan of files. When/if I decided to read books outside the educational realm, I would most likely prefer to have the book in hand. The Memex however does resemble the modern computer in a majority of ways. It seems to have to most of the same functions, in just a different form. He mentions ideas that resembles files and search results. Which is basically having accessible files in one place, and having all of ones knowledge in one place. This, in all, is exactly what a computer is capable of.

No comments: