Tuesday, October 22, 2013

History of the term "Music Piracy"

I decided to follow the theme of the book I chose for the multimedia assignment and search for the term "music piracy". To my surprise, I found that each time I searched for the oldest use of the word, I either found something in the very early 1900s or something as recent as the 1980s.
The very oldest use I found was from a small New York Times news piece from February 27, 1905 headlined "SOUSA ANGRY WITH ENGLAND: Says the Government Permits Open Piracy of His Works". The famous composer John P. Sousa was angry the British government wasn't cracking down on piracy of his copyrighted compositions, and actually wrote to the Times a call for protest. The Chicago Tribune picked up on this story on the same day, noting how Sousa had addressed the Times. The other early document I found was from journal publication by the Royal Music Association called Proceedings of the Musical Association in 1904-1905. Music piracy was the name of one of the references in the appendix; I couldn't find anything more.
After these articles, I jumped all the way in the timeline to 1985 for  Los Angeles Times story named "Singapore Puts on the Pressure to Erase Status as Haven for Tape Counterfeiters", which covered how Singapore's government was trying stop the heavy trade of counterfeit music cassettes. Other articles from this period were similar in covering the piracy of physical music recordings, such as cassettes and CDs.
It seems that the piracy of music has been a topic of discussion since the beginning of the 20th century, most likely due to the increasing ability to replicate information in a variety of formats. Sousa would be astonished how much piracy has exponentially grown from the print age to the digital age.

No comments: