Monday, October 28, 2013

The Memex

As I was searching for the topic of the Memex, I actually found that it's something people are still talking about. Not just about the idea of the Memex, but about actually making it come to life. Of course, we know have the technologies that fulfill what the Memex was supposed to do, and a lot more. People now though seem to be trying to create Vannevar Bush's original desk idea. One of the things I found was a transmutable work page, Trevor F. Smith, published a page about his attempts to actually build a Memex desk. One of his most recent posts was only a day ago, where he finished the control panel. This is the link to his page: https://transmutable.com/notes/trevorfsmith/mqm/

Other, older mentions of the Memex that I found where earlier mentions, these had to do more about the idea of the Memex, what it did and worked for and other developments derived from that. From these I found an example from Microsoft Research. This was a power-point presentation about the Digital Memories Software published on July 19, 2006. With this project something called a SenseCam would have been available for purchase, and it would collect ands save everything one needed it to and have it readily available by always been running. Again, other new technologies have been developed that makes technologies like the Memex and the Digital Memories Software unnecessary, but without their invention, technologies like the ones we have now would not hve been possible.

2 comments:

UWrenorman said...

I'm not surprised that people are still discussing the idea of the Memex on online spaces; however, I was not expecting posts so recent. I like that you found completely different sources than I did. It's definitely interesting to see the Memex mentioned in a conversation rather than a definition.

Unknown said...

I find it interesting and pretty cool that people today are still trying to make real models of the Memex. I would personally like to see a real model of a Memex and what it would be like to use. It is also cool to see other inventions that are somewhat based off of the Memex, and I like to think of what technology would be like without old ideas, like the Memex.