The very first use of the word computer I could find was from 1852, in the New York Daily Times. The article was discussing how a group of individuals were working to calculate the increase in the population of the United States. The article refers to the people who were working on this as "computers". The word is only used once and it was for this sole purpose. Progressing through more of the search results, this usage pops us again and again throughout the 1800s in newspapers across the country.
Further searches found more traditional uses of the term "computer". Around the mid 1900s, the term was used to describe the early computers of the time and the ways they were being used. Project MUSE, in particular, displayed articles that gave a very traditional use of what we see as computers. Particularly, machines built for communication and calculation.
The early use of the term described people who worked with numbers and did calculations. This definition has fallen by the wayside with time and is almost never seen or heard today. It goes to show how the definition of a word changes with time as technology and society evolve and advance.
2 comments:
Joey,
I really like that you chose computer as your word. The reason is because computer is such a general word that many ideas and different concepts and definitions come up when searched for. I thought it was very interesting about what the 1852 New York Times said computers were. That people working to calculate the increase in the population of the United States as 'computers'. Then I like how you went on to explain the evolution and new meaning of what the word computer meant. How the word changes over time. Your last sentence sums it all up perfectly. Overall, I think you did a fantastic job and I enjoyed reading about the evolution of the word computer! Awesome!
I agree with Matt that "computer" was a great word to research. Since computers have been around for such a long time, our use for them has changed more than other technologies that we use, such as the smart phone.
I didn't find it surprising that computers where used for calculating numbers at first, since it seems that our social use has developed recently. I did, however, find the date interesting. It is hard to consider computers being used in the 1850s, especially since we primary hear about their evolution in the 1960s.
I think the computer is the best example society's changing views and uses of a technology.
Thanks for sharing your research!
Post a Comment