When researching the term "World Wide Web", the first use of the term I could find was in a display ad from 1919 in The New York Times. The display ad was for Doran March Books, and it was displaying five unusual novels that people might be interested in reading. The term was used in the phrase, "Mr. Egan watched the spreading of a world-wide web of Berlin propaganda". The early meaning of the term "World Wide Web" was used to describe how the web of information or some idea spread and became essentially world-wide.
Next I looked up the term using the database JStor. This led me to the Science News-Letter for September 12, 1936. In the context of this news-letter, the term "World Wide Web" was used to describe how the weather of an area is connected with neighboring areas. The term again was used to describe how these areas were connected. The early uses of this term was to show how information from different places were connected, and how they spread to many different places.
ProQuest and Project MUSE had more recent uses of the term "World Wide Web", with the earliest uses being in 1992 and 1994, respectively. In both texts, the term was used how we know it today, and both just described what the world wide web is and its history. Today, we know the world wide web as a place full of different information, where anyone can access it from anywhere. Back then, the term had almost the same meaning, just used differently. Either way, the term "World Wide Web" has been used for many years and it was almost always used in the same context. The World Wide Web always dealt with information and connecting places together to share that information, allowing the web of information to essentially be "world-wide".
1 comment:
I couldn't believe that the first reference to the world wide web was in 1919. I actually really like how it was originally used. It has the same meaning as our web today, only we now associate it with electronic technologies.
This is the first one that I read where the definition hasn't altered too much. I think that is really unique.
You picked a good term and your research was very interesting. This post was one of my favorites.
Post a Comment