I originally began my search by typing "Information Society"
into Amazon to see what it came up with. The books on the first page seemed to
either be way too long (around the length of 700 pages) or were much too
expensive (200 dollars). I played around
on Amazon, adding keywords to try and yield a specified book title. When that
didn’t work, one of my friends suggested an author named Bruce Sterling who had
written a slew of books about technologies of today and their uses in the
modern world and best of all, the books were published in a timely manner! However,
the problem with many of the books was that they had strong romantic overtones
to give the story a plot, which didn’t fare well with what I was trying to
write about. The book that Sterling wrote which would have been absolutely
perfect for my story was written too long ago, and his present books were too
wrapped up in romantic love plots to work for a technical paper. I resorted to
googling random terms from the class in order to find a book to read, and still
I came up with nothing. Finally, in hot desperation, I typed “The Information
Society Books” into Google, verbatim, and just began clicking on books. I didn’t
know what would happen and I was angry that I couldn’t find anything. Then I
found the website name MIT press, which gave a slew of fine books about modern
technologies and their workings. I picked the first book on the list which is
named “Technologies of Choice?” by Dorothea Kleine. It is said to explore the
relationship between people and these new technologies and hoe the rich seem to
be more privileged in this field. The book sounded interesting enough, so here
we are. I hope to be interested by what is to be said by Ms. Kleine, but I don’t
think that should be a problem.
Works Cited: Kleine, Dorothea. Technologies of choice?: ICTs, development, and the capabilities approach. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2013. Print.
Works Cited: Kleine, Dorothea. Technologies of choice?: ICTs, development, and the capabilities approach. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2013. Print.
1 comment:
Great choice, Ciara - I'm sorry that your original searches didn't pan out the way you wanted. This should be a good read, though. To give you a sampling of what Kleine will talk about, here's a YouTube of her talking about this book and her research: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23nPc3ytiYY
Post a Comment