Spreadable Media looks at the recently occurring changes in our "contemporary media environment", a place where the people are directly involved in media distribution as the corporations. Not only does that sound interesting, but it relates to things we've discussed in other FIG classes like the concept of "Web 2.0". It draws on examples from music, comic, television, film, and more to illustrate the current media environment of our global network and the circulation of media content. Overall, the book hopes to show how people spread information in today's digital age.
The book has only been out since the start of the year, so there aren't that many reviews, but WorldCat, LibraryThing, and Amazon all had very positive customer reviews. Browsing for reviews on the book, I found a link from NYU Press that includes reviews for the book from people such as Howard Rheingold, the author of Net Smart and danah boyd, known as one of the most influential women in technology.
Reading reviews, it looks like I'm in for a treat. I can't wait. Thanks Scott.
Jenkins, Henry, and Sam Ford.Spreadable media: creating value and meaning in a networked culture. New York: New York University Press, 2013. Print.

4 comments:
Sam,
Looking for a book to catch our attention was a real tough one but I am glad that you found the book that caught your attention after a few struggles. I thought it was interesting how you read someone else’s post to get a book that you were interested in. It’s always nice to know that there’s something out there for everyone even though we all have our different taste in books?
I think that your book sounds pretty interesting. It’s funny because I actually looked up your book and looked for books off of it which brought me to my book, “Networked: The New Social Operating System.” If it relates to Web 2.0, I think you could easily relate that to several of our discussions and lecture and build your paper right off of it. Looks like a good book to dig in.
Good luck with your read!
Your blog post inspired me to start by looking at what other people were reading. I actually found my book, because I searched the book you chose on Amazon. From there I went through the books that other people had bought that also bought the book you chose.
The book you chose looks really interesting, actually. Also, I noticed that Henry Jenkins was one of the authors. That should be interesting, because you already understand some of his ideas from LIS 301. Hope you enjoy this book!
Glad I was able to help you find your book! It definitely sounds really interesting and is something I can't wait to hear about. I love the subject of the book and I think it will fit the class really well. I also looked at what other people were reading and looked through related books to find my final choice, so I think that looking at what other people were reading is an effective way to get ideas. I hope you have a good time reading it and I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it!
This book looks like it's going to be very interesting, and it's always easier for me to read theory when it's contextualized through Drawing on examples from film, music, games, comics, television, advertising, etc. examples. Scott doesn't know what he's missing!
Post a Comment