Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Out of Print: Newspapers, Journalism, and the Business of News in the Digital Age - George Brock

The process in selecting a book for this multimedia project involved first searching various different terms on Amazon Books. I began by searching 'information society', which didn't really bring up any interesting reads, even less so for books that were published in the past three years. I decided to look up some terms that had come up frequently in both LIS201 and the other classes that are a part of this FIG - this included terms such as 'technology society', 'digital media age', 'digital society'. The 'digital society' term brought up various books that I found interesting, many of which had to do with search engine influence, twitter communication, and business. One book, in particular, stood out to me; Out of Print: Newspapers, Journalism, and Business of News in the Digital Age by George Brock. Since Journalism and Mass Communication are fields in which I hope to work in the future, the thought that the "business of news" is changing within the digital age is quite interesting to me. Furthermore, in comparison with the other books that I found, it seemed the most reputable. The author, George Brock, is a professor of Journalism at University College London. Although there were not many academic reviews for the book, I feel that this is due to the fact that the book was published very very recently, in 2013. However, the fact that the book was published so recently makes me even further interested in the book - the more recent the book, the more recent and relevant the information. I look forward to reading the book! 

Brock, George. Out of Print: Newspapers, Journalism and the Business of News in the Digital Age. London: Kogan Page Limited, 2013. Print.

1 comment:

Ellen LeClere said...

This looks like it should be a great book - print culture in the digital age is a very interesting field of study and George Brock seems to have have studied it his whole life. Good choice!

Here's Brock's blog, which is pretty interesting in itself: http://georgebrock.net/