Monday, October 14, 2013

Networked: The New Social Operating System

          I had a hard time deciding which book I wanted to read but I knew that I wanted to read something that involved social networking and its affects on society. Although lowering the amount of books available to read by saying it had to be during the 2 year interval helped narrow down choices, it was still difficult to choose which would be worth my time reading. I have considered several of books such as Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other by Sherry Turkle, Society, Ethics, and Technology by Morton Winston and Ralph Edelbach, and Information Society: A Study of Continuity and Change by John Feather.

          These books were great but I just didn't seemed too amused by them. I didn't bother wanting to know more about the book after reading the summary. It did not leave a "WOW" factor on me. So, I continued to look through more books on amazon.com and eventually found Networked: The New Social Operating System by Lee Rainie and Barry Wellman.

I  found this book very intriguing because instead of social media being a negative effect to society, Rainie and Wellman discusses why it is actually beneficial. They also discuss the history and theories of networking in society. I was also intrigued by this book because during the class, we've been discussing the negative impacts that networking had and I thought it would be interesting to see what these authors thought about it. I thought it would be nice to argue why it is actually beneficial. I am extremely excited to dig into this book.



Citations to reviews:
Rynn, M.Y. "Networked: The New Social Operating System." Choice 50.4 (2012): 766. ProQuest. Web. 14 Oct. 2013.

4 comments:

Joey L. said...

This actually sounds pretty interesting. It is quite refreshing to see an analysis of social networking that doesn't stop to talk about how it is destroying society or something like that. On a slightly more superficial level, it sounds like you'll have a lot to talk about for the review we'll eventually have to do. While I'm perfectly happy with my book, had I found this one, I would be pleased to read through it.

Unknown said...

This book sounds very intriguing. I like the fact that it discusses the benefits of the social networking cites instead of saying how detrimental they are. I am very excited to hear about the book and can't wait for you to read it! Hope you enjoy!

Unknown said...

I am also excited to hear about the theories and history behind networking in society. I am excited to see the positive impacts that this book has on all of us towards social networking. Once again, great choice!

Ellen LeClere said...

Very nice choice! It looks like the authors are drawing heavily from van Dijk, so you're already set up for success by having read about the network society. And you're right, it's so refreshing to hear a "pro-social media" perspective these days..