Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Digital Cities: The Internet and Geography of Opportunity

For my book I ended up choosing one that focusing on the digital divide, called Digital Cities.
When starting my search I really had not idea what I wanted to focus on. There were many that seemed interesting such as my other two which were called "LOL...OMG" and "Digital Literacy, Social Networking and the Web 2.0" which both focused on digital literacies and teaching/ using these literacies in schools. I am highly interested in this topic because of the changes going on in my school district back in my hometown where everything is transformed to be electronic so I thought this would be an interesting topic. But, I am also interested in social welfare and social divides so really the digital cities book by Karen Mossberger and Caroline J. Tolbert to be more interesting. When in compared my books on world cat I actually found it to be the lowest ranking for the amount of libraries that held it, but I think this is because the digital literacy books are more aimed for students and younger people especially "LOL...OMG," so it would make sense that more places would have this book more available since students and younger people are a large population.

Something I found though that is a bit worrying for this project is that since it was published recently this year, not many reviews have been published, but that in turn is also a good thing because it talks about real numbers that relate to real people in the country so they should be more up to date.

4 comments:

Paul said...

This seems like a great book! I can relate to how your school district is trying to bring more new technology into the classroom. My high school is giving every student laptops and trying to incorporate computers into class curriculum. While this can be beneficial, I feel it can isolate students who don't wish to learn through computers. I hope your book is good!

Katie Flicker said...

I agree with Paul that this seems like a very interesting book. I like how you chose a book that you have a personal connection with to keep you engaged. I am interested to see if by reading this book it will help you better understand why your school has incorporated technology or if you will begin to think it was a bad idea.

Katie Flicker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellen LeClere said...

This should be a good read, and I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of reviews. I think you're right - it was published recently, which will mean it will have the most accurate data, but the fewest reviews. Keep looking, and check other databases and popular magazines for citations on it!

Good choice!