Sunday, October 13, 2013

Book Selection: The Information Diet

To start off my search for the right book to read, I went straight to Amazon because to me, they're the first place to go when it comes to books nowadays. I began my search in the most straightforward way possible, by searching for the exact phrase "information society". Most of what I got was not something feasible to read for this assignment, something I simply did not understand as I read the description, too expensive, or a combination of the three. Then I found exactly which book would work. There were no other candidates, this one was perfect. I even checked with the professors.

That book was The Information Diet by Clay A. Johnson. It aims to discuss how we as a culture take in information, how much we take in, and how that can be bad for us. From there, it aims to structure a way for you to take in information from around you in a smarter way and not be overstimulated, hence the "diet" part of the title.

Choosing this was pretty easy after I found it. It seemed like a book that could give me a lot to talk about without being terribly dry, and could maybe even be fun to read overall. Both professors approved of the choice, it isn't terribly expensive, and it's not even that long. The academic review I found (cited below) even talked about it in a positive light. In short, just what I was looking for. I didn't even have to find any other candidates.



Wiley, D. L. (2012). The information diet: A case for conscious consumption. Online, 36(2), 61-62. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.library.wisc.edu/docview/927745660?accountid=465
The Information Diet: A Case for Conscious Consumption, by Clay A. Johnson, is reviewed.

4 comments:

UWrenorman said...

From what you wrote, I thought the book you selected is very interesting. I actually used it to find similar books. I hope it is a good read.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabriella Struger said...

This book appears very interesting, heck I probably would even read it. I had a similar experience with using amazon.com, where I typed in the exact phrase and with a little narrowing down I found an awesome book for me tor read. Also, I find the cover art for your book rather humorous. Best of luck with this project and I hope you enjoy reading this!

Ellen LeClere said...

One of my favorite topics! I'm sure you will have a lot of fun reading this and have some great ideas for class discussion as we talk more about the information society as it relates to aspects of our present lives.