Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other

First, I would like to first say that my search for a book was absolutely exhausting. I had a couple ideas in mind, however I had seen that other students had already used the books (my own fault I guess). I searched under the tag "Information Society" on Amazon for books published since 2011. I came across a multitude of books, but I tried my best to steer away from generic ones about the information society as I wanted to focus on a more specific topic or study. My original three books all no reviews written about them on any websites, so I knew they would not be good choices. I had to have thoroughly researched about a dozen books before I finally came across this one: Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other. It showed up as a related title to one of the books I was looking at, and the title alone had me intrigued and seemed liked something I would want to be knowledgable about. When I came back to our blog, it was comforting to see other students had also considered this title, therefore assuring me that it was appropriate for the class. The reviews seemed to be positive, and many customers mentioned their view on technology changed because of how Sherry Turkle (the author) demonstrated the control technology has. The reviews had an average of between 3.5 and 4 out of 5, which was another comforting factor.

I have found many academic reviews of the book, and I briefly skimmed a few, and they all seemed to have taken good points from the book. A great article I found was an interview that someone had held with Turkle, so it was nice to read more in depth to her research.

I look forward to reading this book, and learning a lot from it.

Are we Plugged-in, Connected, but Alone?. Washington, D.C.: National Public Radio, 2013. ProQuest. Web.                   15 Oct. 2013.

1 comment:

Ellen LeClere said...

Grace - great choice. The synopsis of this book sounds like it will be an excellent and compelling read. The author is a MIT professor, but most importantly, she talked about her research on the Colbert Report :D

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/371249/january-17-2011/sherry-turkle